Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Homemade Floating Trout Bait

Wading into just above freezing water …  Pinching dough bait on the end of a number 6 hook and casting upstream through a little riffle…. Watching as it rolls down an eddy… Waiting… waiting… Suddenly, the rod tip bends slightly.

Anyone who has ever been in this position knows how exhilarating it is to catch a trout. There is something about duping a fish to eat your bait or lure that has always intrigued me. I started making my own lures when I was 10. From whittling sticks into crankbaits, to tying flies, there is something even more satisfying about catching a fish on something I created.

The last two years I have fished a plethora of diverse trout baits. I discovered which ones functioned for me, and ones are what I consider to be “Angler Bait” (attractive to anglers because of the colors or cost, but the bait doesn’t produce results).  I probably bought 15 different trout baits just last year. At an average of $6 for 20 nuggets, I spent  $90 for 300 nuggets... I came to the conclusion it was time for me to try to make my own baits.

I did a little research online about homemade trout baits. I found a lot of different suggestions but none of them, with the exception of a company called Bite On (http://biteonfishing.com), had found a way to make their bait float.  If you are looking for a quick way to make your own bait, this looks like the solution. The cost is close to $5 for a regular trout bait container. If anyone decides to purchase this, I would love to have you review it.

Here are some of the recipes and information I found online:


Inspired most of my recipe, except the cooking part. The dough is already dense and I need something soft and pliable for my single hook set up.


Missouri Trout hunter is by far my favorite information found. It talks about all aspects of fishing for trout, but it also described many different recipes people tried. The most interesting one to me was the info about using earplugs as reusable bait.


A blog with a few different recipes, I haven’t tried their recipes, but if the bait I made works I might diversify and try others.

Here’s our recipe:

1 ½ Cups of Flour
½ Cup of Corn Meal
1 tsp Garlic Powder
½ Cup of Water
1 Cup of Marshmallows
4 oz. of processed cheese
1 piece of Styrofoam board

Start by mixing a ½ Cup of flour, cornmeal, and garlic powder together.  Rub the Styrofoam board into small pills. Mix a large amount of Styrofoam into the dry mixture. Remember, this is what will make the bait float, so the more the better. Add the water. Heat up the marshmallows and cheese; mix in.  Add another ½ cup of flour and begin to knead together. Add the remaining amount of flour to reach the consistency you would like. This recipe makes about 16oz of dough.



Send us your floating bait recipes so we can share with others at thefullstringer@gmail.com.

4 comments:

  1. How big the piece of Styrofoam board I need? How much did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this with crushed dog food and Karo syrup for corn flavor, added mikes gel sent, and instant Hawaii punch for color. I'm fishing with this in 2 days, I boiled some balls and froze the rest in ziplock, I added at least 4 cups of foam to float it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bait recipe
    1 bottle Kentucky bourbon

    Half cup fresh goat cheese and gouda cheese

    Half cup rotten marcino cherries

    1 3rd cup rotten egg jumbo grade a

    Half pound turkey gizzards butterball

    1 cup cooking oil Sunfry vegitable oil

    Half pound rotten coffee grounds folgers

    Mix it all together in 5 gallon bucket filled with two gallons rotten milk ad sheep piss . Stir everything all together for 45 minutes non stop . Let bucket sit out in the hot sun with the lid on it for about a week . After it settles for a week pour the mixture into a big burlap sack and tie a good length of 550 paracord to the sack and toss it into the water . The fish will be attracted to the horrible stench and will converge on the sack of stink bait . At this point just cast out your line with a glob of night crawlers . And you will be swimming in catfish by nightfall.

    Email wuth resualts me . At omegastar371@aol.com

    ReplyDelete