Friday, March 20, 2015

7 Everyday Items That Could Save Your Fishing Trip

1)   Paper Clips: These little guys are for more than holding your office paperwork together or getting stuck in your vacuum cleaner (my wife works from home, so this happens now and then). I have found these are an easy way to hook up a weedless soft plastic when you run out of Texas rig hooks.  Simple unbend the paperclip, slide it through the eyehole of the hook, and bend them into a V shape. Use your need nose pliers to hold one side of the paperclip straight. Bend the other end around the outside of the pliers 3 or 4 times, making a coil. Snip off the excess and screw the top of your soft plastic lure on to the coil. Setup the hook through your lure and you are all set!

2)   Rubber Bands: I use these more than pretty much every other tool. From pinning weights (check out http://wired2fish.scout.com/story/1469191-5-texas-rig-modifications-every-angler-should-know) to holding my tackle boxes closed, they are very versatile.  These are particularly useful when I am running a jerkbait or crankbait through weeds. I thread the rubber band through the hook eyehole and attach to the barbs on a hook. This works the best if you break off one hook on the treble hooks.

3)   Shrink-Wrap: You know that little metal attachment on your rod where you hook your lures? I hate that thing. Countless times my line has been hung up on that metal loop. I always break it off, but I don’t want to put tension on the pole eyeholes. Since my poles are 2 piece setups, I take a little shrink-wrap on the upper half of the rod and leave a tiny slit that I did not shrink to hook my lures. You can also use two pieces of shrink-wrap and mechanics wire or a paper clip to make your own loop in a place that won’t hang up.

4)   Red Sharpie: I use this on my crankbaits to add a little blood coloring on the gills or the bottom of the lure. I also will draw on my buzzbait blades to give a little flash of red on bright days. You can also use the sharpie to write the diving depth on the bill of your crankbaits. You won’t forget the how deep they dive, and it makes the lure look like it is bleeding from the mouth.

5)   Toothpicks: Most fishermen know you can peg you weights, floats and 
plastic lures by threading the toothpicks in the holes and breaking them off. One thing I learned from a fishing buddy of mine was that you could use toothpicks to stiffen up your soft plastics. Shove the toothpick in your worms and it changes the action completely. I like to wacky rig a curly tail worm and jigging it for spring bass. You will be surprised how many hits you have over spawning areas with this pattern.

6)   Salt packets: I love salted lures, but as time goes on, even the salt impregnated ones lose their flavor. Take 2 toothpicks and thread them into the bottom or middle of the worm or swimbait. Spread the toothpicks apart pour salt down the middle. Pull the toothpicks out slowly, and then use the toothpicks to punch a few holes in the salted area.


7)   Foam Ear Buds: These are great for little bobbers when fishing for panfish. Thread your line through the center and use it as a float. Another great option for the ear buds is to soak them in scent attractant and use it as homemade floating trout bait. It takes a little work to get them to float, but they do catch trout. I find that cheese and garlic scent works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment